BeBa Energy completes major solar array for Thanet Earth

BeBa Energy has recently completed one of Kent’s largest rooftop solar arrays for Britain’s leading glasshouse grower Thanet Earth on its packhouse and office buildings at Birchington, Kent.

The 1,054.9kW system will generate just under one thousand megawatt hours of clean electricity per year – enough energy to power 750 homes.

The new 2,740-panel scheme is anticipated to have over 80% utilisation, with the remaining 20% being exported to the local grid, significantly reducing the amount of electricity used from the National Grid and adds to Thanet Earth’s existing renewable energy schemes. Solar power now contributes to around 32% of its total power use at the pack house.

Shaun Beattie, director at BeBa Energy, said: “We are delighted to have worked on this major installation for Thanet Earth, which will also see an anticipated 189,706kgs carbon reduction each year for the business.

“We have now completed several installations of a similar size or larger for major horticulture and agriculture businesses in the county and the sector is working hard to use more solar energy as part of its move towards net zero.”

Rob James, technical director at Thanet Earth, said: “This was an important project for us as we work towards delivering our SBti target and onwards to Net Zero.

“Prior to this, we had completed two carbon reduction projects, but this was the most complex and it was delivered on target and with minimal impact on our operations.   

Shaun continued: “There is capacity for more roof space to be used for the generation of solar power in the agricultural sector and the wider business community, not just in Kent but across the UK.

“A report issued in August 2022 by The UK Warehouse Association said the UK had at that time roof space for 15GW of new solar power which would nearly double the UK’s solar PV capacity. This would meet the National Grid’s minimum requirements for solar expansion by 2030.

“To date the UK has deployed around 17GW of solar with a further 3GW forecast to be added this year.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Maidstone site manager for Barratt Homes wins national award

Barratt Homes site manager Billy Oborne has won a Pride in the Job Award from the National House Building Council (NHBC) in recognition of the quality of homes he is building at The Poppies development in Kent.

Read More
News

Screen Ashford launches to support film industry

Screen South, in partnership with Ashford Borough Council and Ashford-based film company Borderpoint Films, has launched Screen Ashford, an initiative designed to nurture and develop the next generation of film industry professionals and provide a network for them.

Read More
News

South East had second-highest equity investment value in 2023

The British Business Bank’s annual Small Business Equity Tracker reports that the South East region had the second-highest investment value in 2023.

Read More